thoughts on the Mariners, MLB draft, and more homelinksdraftabout me

Opening Day 2010 Musings

A collection of thoughts from yesterday, more or less in chronological order:

  • Good to see guys like Albert Pujols, Roy Halladay, and Tim Lincecum pick up where they left off
  • It was even better to see Miguel Batista pick up where he left off
  • Very amusing to see the Royals roll out an opening day lineup with Jose Guillen, Willie Bloomquist, and Yuniesky Betancourt batting fifth, sixth, and seventh
  • Mark Buehrle should already have a Gold Glove wrapped up after this phenomenal play
  • Not even the Disney channel would touch a script of Jason Heyward's life at this point
  • Miguel Batista and Jason Heyward helped me and my fantasy team ignore Carlos Zambrano's implosion
Of course, the main attraction for me was the Mariners game:

  • I wonder what Ben Sheets looked like in the off-season. I don't see how a scout couldn't give a favorable report on him, based on what I saw last night. His fastball still has pretty good zip, and his curve ball is still nasty. I'm not sure it all adds up to $10 million worth of nasty, but Sheets looked better than I expected.
  • Felix's six walks are not representative of how well he pitched. The strike zone was very small. In particular, the lower third was non-existent. There were a total of 15 walks in the game, which is ridiculous. None of the pitchers in the game (M's or A's) were that wild.
  • Jose Lopez looked better at third base than I expected
  • Milton Bradley broke his bat by slamming it in the ground, and a little bit later glared at the A's fans after catching a routine fly ball. He is a ticking time bomb, no doubt about it, and I found myself loving it. It might even be good for this team. I don't mind having one player around that is so hyper-competitive.
  • One game isn't enough to answer all the questions on this team. However, Casey Kotchman looked good, Griffey had a productive night, Rob Johnson hit a home run (and walked too!), and David Aardsma looked like David Aardsma. One game in, we only got reasons to lean towards positive answers.
If the next six months are anything like yesterday, it's going to be a fantastic season.

No comments:

Post a Comment