thoughts on the Mariners, MLB draft, and more homelinksdraftabout me

My 2010 All Stars

The All Star Game teams were announced today, and there were definitely some surprises. Usually, I don't have too many issues with who is picked, but this year is an exception, as you will see.

I don't like the way the All Start Game works these days, so since this is my blog, I play by my rules. I still limit myself to 25 guys on a team, with the stipulation that every team is represented. It makes for some difficult decisions, but not that difficult.

My methodology is simple. The lineup is comprised of the best player at each position. Then, I see which teams aren't represented yet, and I add the best player on each of those teams to the roster. Whatever spots are left are filled with the best remaining players. Asterisks (*) indicate injury replacements. The process leaves some guys out that I wish were there, but see what you think of the results:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Batting Order
  1. Ichiro, RF, Mariners
  2. Derek Jeter, SS, Yankees
  3. Justin Morneau, 1B, Twins
  4. Miguel Cabrera, DH, Tigers
  5. Robinson Cano, 2B, Yankees
  6. Josh Hamilton, CF, Rangers
  7. Evan Longoria, 3B, Rays
  8. Joe Mauer, C, Twins
  9. Carl Crawford, LF, Rays
Bench
  • Kurt Suzuki, C, Athletics
  • Kevin Youkilis, 1B, Red Sox
  • Alex Gonzalez, SS, Blue Jays
  • Alex Rios, OF, White Sox
  • Shin-Soo Choo, OF, Indians (injured)
  • Nick Markakis, OF, Orioles
Starting Rotation
  1. Cliff Lee, LHP, Mariners
  2. Francisco Liriano, LHP, Twins
  3. Jered Weaver, RHP, Angels
  4. Jon Lester, LHP, Red Sox
  5. Felix Hernandez, RHP, Mariners
Bullpen
  • Zack Greinke, RHP, Royals
  • David Price, LHP, Rays
  • Phil Hughes, RHP, Yankees*
  • Justin Verlander, RHP, Tigers
  • Rafael Soriano, RHP, Rays
  • Mariano Rivera, RHP, Yankees
NATIONAL LEAGUE

Batting Order
  1. Hanley Ramirez, SS, Marlins
  2. David Wright, 3B, Mets
  3. Joey Votto, DH, Reds
  4. Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals
  5. Matt Holliday, LF, Cardinals
  6. Josh Willingham, RF, Nationals
  7. Marlon Byrd, CF, Cubs
  8. Martin Prado, 2B, Braves
  9. Miguel Olivo, C, Rockies
Bench
  • Brian McCann, C, Braves
  • Adrian Gonzalez, 1B, Padres
  • Chase Utley, 2B, Phillies (injured, and would've been a starter)
  • Rafael Furcal, SS, Dodgers*
  • Andrew McCutchen, OF, Pirates
  • Jason Heyward, OF, Braves
Starting Rotation
  1. Roy Halladay, RHP, Phillies
  2. Ubaldo Jimenez, RHP, Rockies
  3. Tim Lincecum, RHP, Giants
  4. Josh Johnson, RHP, Marlins
  5. Adam Wainwright, RHP, Cardinals
Bullpen
  • Dan Haren, RHP, Diamondbacks
  • Roy Oswalt, RHP, Astros
  • Yovani Gallardo, RHP, Brewers
  • Billy Wagner, LHP, Braves
  • Heath Bell, RHP, Padres
  • Jonathan Broxton, RHP, Dodgers
The Yankees, Rays, and Braves tied for most All Stars on my teams with four apiece. The reasons I feel that this year's actual selections are remarkably lackluster are obvious from the teams I picked. In the American League, 11 of the players I picked are not on the team, including my entire bench. In the National League, only 7 of my selections were left off, but they include 3 of my starters. This is all the more amazing considering that I limited myself to 26 players (adding my injury replacements to the mix), while the real teams pick 33 (and the 34th is voted on by the fans).

You know, these rosters are so bad that I think there will be another post just breaking down how bizarre some of these selections are. That may have to wait until tomorrow, but it's coming.

Oh, and lastly, happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment